Monday, May 07, 2007

Heartbroken

It breaks my heart. Every single time I think about him, he brings tears to my eyes. I used to see him doing his thing on NESN as a semi-rookie (or whatever you wanna call it), and I now I see him as an NL All-Star batting champ with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Yes, I'm talking about Freddy Sanchez. It honestly hurt me to the core when the Red Sox essentially "gave up" on him. I know baseball's a business and yaddy yah and I know they had a starting shortstop (cough**Nomar**cough) at the time they got rid of Sanchez, but patience is definitely a virtue. I mean, look at what this guy has become! The Sox didn't need him but it was alright...because he didn't need them either.

Yet another guy the Red Sox got rid of was a dude whom I thought would definitely spent the good chunk of his career (if not the whole thing) in good ol' Boston: Hanley Ramirez. He plays for the Florida Marlins now, yes, but he was also the 2006 NL Rookie of the Year. Do you see the pattern here? First Sanchez and now Ramirez. Like the former, Ramirez is also a shortstop. Like the former, Ramirez was "given" to another team. And like the former, Ramirez saw his first season with a new team as one of the best opportunities he could've gotten, making the Red Sox front office look stupid by pissing in their faces. Kudos for you, Sanchez and Ramirez. Kudos for you. And to the Red Sox: some of the best players develop with time, so give them time to develop.

No comments: