Saturday, September 29, 2007

Twelve Years and Six Schools Later





And the Red Sox finally clinched the AL East. Thank ya, Jesus. Thank ya! The last time they won the division, I was a 3rd grader at Manassah E. Bradley Elementary School in East Boston, and didn't give two shits about them. Since their last division title in 1995, my parents had another kid, we moved to North Carolina, I've gone to six different schools, and I've grown from a child to a young woman. That's just crazy, man. It was a long time coming but hey, I'll take it. Shit. Dice-K pitched great last night, so kudos for him. I almost thought the Sox would have to wait another day to clinch, but thanks to the Baltimore Orioles' amazing and greatly appreciated comeback, the Yankees lost.




Okay, enough about the Sox. So, I'd gone to bed pretty late last night after starting a shitty paper on sociological theory that's due Monday (Yeah, I'm working on papers on Friday nights; I have no friends and no life :( ). But anyhoo, I just so happened to emerge out of my slumber and saw David Wright talking on "SportsCenter" or whatever. Damn, I felt so bad for the guy. He's still one of my baseball boyfriends or whatever I called him before, but it honestly pained me to watched that interview. He looked and sounded like he was about to cry, and for good reason, mind you. I don't know the stats off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to look them up, but the Mets have lost like, 11 of their last 15 games or something along those lines. They're currently in a series with the Marlins, a team to whom they've lost like 10 in a row. Ah, love that attempted use of good grammar, huh? I mean, this team (Mets) were leading the damn NL East division you might as well say since Spring Training ended and here they are, the last few days of the season, and they're not leading anything. No division, no Wild Card, nothing. If the season ended today, they'd be out. That's a tough pill to swallow, man. Like Buttermaker from "Bad News Bears" once said: "Baseball's hard. You can love it but, believe me, it don't always love you back". If I really really cared, I'd cry for them. Hey, if the Red Sox can muster up the greatest comeback in postseason history, maybe the Mets can win the next few games and hope the Phillies (who are leading the division) lose. **shrugs shoulders**


No comments: